Rules and Entry for Exeter Writers Short Story Competition 2022
(updated December 2021)
Please make sure you read our house rules carefully so you understand what you need to do. Some of the rules are essential and will lead to disqualification if you don’t adhere to them while others are there to ensure that presentation doesn’t adversely affect the reading experience.
The competition is open to all writers of any ability, published or otherwise, with the exception of members of Exeter Writers.
We accept stories of any genre (except children's stories). You can submit as many individual stories as you wish, each as a separate entry. All entries must be accompanied by an entrance fee, which is paid via the PayPal button below.
We accept simultaneous entries. However, if your story wins a prize in another contest while our contest is open for submissions, please let the contest co-coordinator know so your entry can be withdrawn (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will not be refunded the entry fee.
Stories must have neither been previously published nor won a prize in any other competition. Stories that have previously won a prize in our competition are not eligible for re-entry. You may re-enter a short story from a previous year if it did not win a prize, but revising it is recommended.
Entrants with Devon addresses will automatically be considered for the Devon Prize as well as the overall prizes, but cannot win both. No story may win more than one prize.
- Use Times New Roman or Arial 12-point font. No fancy fonts or colours please.
- Maximum word count is 3000 words. There is no minimum word count. Counts must be exact, not estimates. Do not include the title, header or footer in the word count. If your entry contains more than the maximum number words, it will be disqualified.
- All stories must be sent in Word in .doc, .docx or rtf format. Please do not send your manuscript in pdf. All other file types will be disqualified.
- Do not add your name or any identifying features in any part of the document including the header or footer. If your name appears anywhere on the document, your story will be disqualified and you will not be refunded the entry fee. Stories will be judged anonymously.
- Write your story title and page number at the top of every page.
Entry fee is £7 per story via PayPal (see below)
Opening date for receiving entries is December 1 2021 and closing date for entries is 23:59 GMT on February 28 2022. Late entries will not be accepted.
Questions can be emailed to email@example.com