Exeter Writers runs an annual short story competition, accepting entries between September and February. The competition began in 2009 and is very popular, receiving entries from all over the world.
* * *
Exeter Writers Short Story Competition 2017
OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
OPEN FOR ENTRIES!
First prize £500
Second prize £250
Third prize £100
Plus a prize for writers in Devon of £100
Closing date 28th February 2017
* The competition is open to published and unpublished authors (except members of Exeter Writers) writing in any genre except children’s.
* Stories must not have been previously published (this included self-published in print or electronically), nor won a prize in any other competition.
* The maximum word limit is 3,000, but there is no lower limit.
* The entry fee per story is £6 sterling, to be paid by cheque or postal order (not cash, please) if you are entering by post. If you wish to send your story by email, you will need to pay the fee by PayPal. Please see the further postal entry or email entry rules below.
* Stories are judged anonymously.
* No stories will be returned, so make sure you keep copies of your entries.
* Once again we are offering a prize for the best story submitted by a writer living in Devon. This will be judged from all stories submitted by writers from a Devon address.
* No story may win more than one prize.
* The closing date is 28th February 2017.
* Winners will be announced before the end of July 2017. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize-winning stories, as well as the winner of the Devon Prize, will be published on the Exeter Writers website. Copyright remains with the author.
* The judges’ decision is final.
Post:Exeter Writers Short Story Competition, 202 Manstone Avenue, Sidmouth, EX10 9TL
Phone: Jan Cascarini 01395 576694
A Winning Story?
You can read a variety of Exeter Writers’ work, as well as the 1st prize-winning stories for years 2009-2013 in our latest anthology, The Coastal Zoo – a good way of assessing the standard of writing you might be competing with.
Click HERE to purchase a copy.
You can also read all the previous competition winners by clicking here.